Here’s today’s AdExchanger.com news round-up… Want it by email? Sign up here.
Tying Together The Googleverse
Google has undergone several re-orgs since Prabhakar Raghavan took over as SVP of advertising and commerce in 2018. And the changes are still coming. This week, Google CEO Sundar Pichai told employees that Raghavan will also lead Search, including news, podcasts and Google Assistant, and the Geo team, which runs Google Maps, according to a memo obtained by Search Engine Land. “For some time now, I’ve been thinking about how we could bring the voice of the user more clearly into our products so we can be more helpful to them,” Pichai wrote. Another reason could be to head off antitrust action. US states and regulators are considering options to break up Google’s ad tech, so splicing everything together under Raghavan could make it harder to force divestitures.
50 Horsemen Of The Googlepocalypse
Speaking of Google’s antitrust situation, US state attorneys general are leaning toward a suit pushing for the breakup of Google’s ad tech business, CNBC reports. All 50 states have been examining Google’s search, Android and ad tech businesses for potential violations. But a breakup isn’t imminent. CNBC’s anonymous sources also say the AGs may only pursue fines and changes to Google’s policy, or commitments Google must uphold via a consent decree (like, say, allowing other ad tech companies equivalent access to YouTube inventory). “In Google’s case, pushing for a breakup of its ad technology business may be difficult, some lawyers say, because it does not exist as a stand-alone unit easily hived off.”
Contact Tracing For Profit
But Wait, There’s More!
- Slack Is Teaming Up With Amazon To Take On Microsoft - CNN
- Pinterest Accelerates Tech Projects As Pandemic Boosts User Engagement - WSJ
- Agencies Hope For Second-Half Pitch Ramp Up - MediaPost
- The Complex Debate Over Silicon Valley’s Embrace Of Content Moderation - NYT
- Facebook Will Start Labeling State-Controlled Media Outlets - Adweek
- United Kingdom Shares Patient Data With Tech Firm That Worked for CIA - Bloomberg
- Ad Buyers Should Rethink Facebook Spend, Says Media Watchdog - The Information
- Google Cloud Lures 2 Key Hires From SAP And AWS - Business Insider