Home Ad Exchange News IPG: Time Spent Is A Better Indicator Of Ad Effectiveness Than Percent Of Pixels In-View

IPG: Time Spent Is A Better Indicator Of Ad Effectiveness Than Percent Of Pixels In-View

SHARE:

KaraManattJust because an ad is “in-view,” that doesn’t mean it’s effective.

On the contrary, time spent is often a better indicator of ad effectiveness than percentage of pixels in-view on a page.

That’s according to a new viewability study from Interpublic Group (IPG) and measurement firm Integral Ad Science. The report, “Putting Science Behind The Standards,” surveyed 10,000 consumer respondents across 189 ad scenarios using eye-tracking and post-exposure surveys to gauge factors like brand recall.

“We didn’t want to just do a case study on viewability. We wanted real, projectable results across varying degrees of viewability, advertisers and formats,” said Kara Manatt, VP of consumer research strategy for the holding company’s IPG Media Lab, which oversaw the study along with IPG’s Cadreon trading desk.

The study broke ads down by format – banners, rich media and video – and factored in contextual attributes around creative (e.g., sound on/off for video ads and ads with brand logos vs. without logos), industry vertical (e.g., CPG, auto) and page layout (cluttered vs. uncluttered).

The key finding: The duration of an ad exposure had a greater bearing on overall effectiveness than whether or not it could be seen at all. 

This finding was a critical discovery, according to Manatt, since the industry has for some time standardized around percent of pixels in-view as defined by the Media Rating Council’s (MRC) standard for viewability.

That standard: To be considered “in-view,” 50% of an ad’s pixels must be in-view for one second for display formats and 50% of pixels in-view for two seconds for video.

Ads that exceeded MRC standards for viewability, not surprisingly, had a significant impact on effectiveness. Out of 51% of people who viewed an ad at the MRC threshold, only 17% recalled it. Ads that exceeded MRC standards nearly doubled the chance for recall at 32%.

But surprisingly, 17% still recalled ads that fell below the MRC threshold.

IPG determined that because the MRC standard consists of two dimensions, even if the percentage of pixels in-view fell below the suggested threshold, if the time spent was longer than the threshold suggested it enhanced overall ad effectiveness and influenced recall.

For instance, when certain formats were viewed for four to seven seconds instead of the baseline threshold, brand recall improved significantly.

Subscribe

AdExchanger Daily

Get our editors’ roundup delivered to your inbox every weekday.

“I was surprised to see that time in-view seemed to be so much more important than number of pixels in-view,” Manatt added. “That’s not to say percentage of pixels aren’t important because you can’t have a decent impact with creative if there aren’t enough pixels, but I was surprised to see this discrepancy between percentage in-view and time in-view.”

IPG and Integral Ad Science also uncovered certain nuances around formats. For instance, videos only 75% in-view still made a large impact, particularly if the sound was on and there was a stimulating visual or brand logo at the outset of the video.

However this was not the case for standard display, which was measurably more effective after the format was 75% in-view.

There are creative best practices that when followed, improve the chance of ad recall across formats.

“You can feature a striking visual or brand logo at the top where even if it’s not a full 100% or even 75% in-view, makes an impact if the ad is rendered for 10 seconds,” Manatt said. “Yes, the higher viewability you have, the more impact an ad will have, but viewability should not be your key performance indicator. Your end goal should be improving awareness or perception, or influencing purchase intent or some kind of conversion.”

Must Read

Advertible Makes Its Case To SSPs For Running Native Channel Extensions

Companies like TripleLift that created the programmatic native category are now in their awkward tween years. Cue Advertible, a “native-as-a-service” programmatic vendor, as put by co-founder and CEO Tom Anderson.

Mozilla acquires Anonym

Mozilla Acquires Anonym, A Privacy Tech Startup Founded By Two Top Former Meta Execs

Two years after leaving Meta to launch their own privacy-focused ad measurement startup in 2022, Graham Mudd and Brad Smallwood have sold their company to Mozilla.

Nope, We Haven’t Hit Peak Retail Media Yet

The move from in-store to digital shopper marketing continues, as United Airlines, Costco, PayPal, Chase and Expedia make new retail media plays. Plus: what the DSP Madhive saw in advertising sales software company Frequence.

Privacy! Commerce! Connected TV! Read all about it. Subscribe to AdExchanger Newsletters
Comic: Ad-ception

The New York Times And Instacart Integrate For Shoppable Recipes

The New York Times and Instacart are partnering for shoppable recipe videos.

Experian Enters The Third-Party Data Onboarding Business

Experian entered the third-party data onboarder market on Tuesday with a new product based on its Tapad acquisition.

Albertsons Takes Its First Steps Into Non-Endemic Advertising, Retail Media’s Next Frontier

Albertsons is taking that first step into non-endemic advertising next week via a partnership with Rokt to serve ads to people who have already purchased groceries.