Home Online Advertising Obama Buys More Display Ads Than Romney, And In More Places

Obama Buys More Display Ads Than Romney, And In More Places

SHARE:

Of the presidential contenders, President Obama’s reelection campaign has adopted the more broad-based display ad strategy in the campaign’s final two months. In analysis shared with AdExchanger, analytics firm Moat finds Obama’s campaign placed 10x the volume of display ads that Romney’s did, an estimate that is consistent with FEC data on Obama’s digital ad investment — which places Obama’s digital spend at anywhere between four and ten times that of Romney’s.

Also the Obama team’s media strategy differs substantially from Romney’s. AdWeek covered some of Moat’s numbers last week (Read it), noting the Romney campaign shrank the number of properties in its digital ad buys considerably from September to October, but increased impression volume during that time by 400%.

The chart below shows Moat spotted Romney ads on Google AdSense in about 44% of measured impressions and Lotame on another 38%. Obama meanwhile spread its spend more broadly across sites and buying platforms. Yahoo’s Genome audience platform commanded 34% of Obama impressions observed by Moat, but the remaining 66% of spend was distributed more widely. Ten companies including Advertising.com, Tribal Fusion, and AppNexus captured the remainder of its display ad budget. Moat also noted Obama’s direct buys included placements on NYTimes.com, Oprah.com, Cnet.com, and ComedyCentral.com.

Must Read

Comic: Ad-ception

The New York Times And Instacart Integrate For Shoppable Recipes

The New York Times and Instacart are partnering for shoppable recipe videos.

Experian Enters The Third-Party Data Onboarding Business

Experian entered the third-party data onboarder market on Tuesday with a new product based on its Tapad acquisition.

Albertsons Takes Its First Steps Into Non-Endemic Advertising, Retail Media’s Next Frontier

Albertsons is taking that first step into non-endemic advertising next week via a partnership with Rokt to serve ads to people who have already purchased groceries.

Privacy! Commerce! Connected TV! Read all about it. Subscribe to AdExchanger Newsletters

Marketecture Buys AdTechGod (No, Really)

Marketecture has acquired AdTechGod – an anonymous ad tech Twitter poster turned one-man content studio – and the AdTech Forum, an information resource hosted by AdTechGod and Jeremy Bloom.

Why The False Advertising Lawsuit Against Poppi Is Bad News For RMNs

This week’s dispatch explores the new trend of false advertising class-action suits in the food and CPG industry and how the evolution of online, data-driven retail media could exacerbate the problem.

Seedtag Acquires Beachfront For Deeper Roots In TV And Streaming

Contextual ad platform Seedtag acquires Beachfront, a supply-side platform that specializes in TV and video.