Nancy Hill, President of the American Association of Advertising Agencies (4A's), offers her views.
What will we see in advertising in 2012 that’s never been done/happened before?
I think we will finally see agencies reaping the benefits of behaving more like Silicon Valley than Madison Avenue. For years, agencies have been their own worst enemies when it came to the three things that foster true innovation: collaboration, speed to market and entrepreneurial spirit (or what I call the fear of failure factor).
I believe it was Rishad Tobaccowala who said, "Be open to outside partnerships because incest breeds horrible ideas." Well, we’ve been an incestuous industry alright. But now, we are seeing true partnerships form that gives everyone the ability to look at a problem from many points of view. Most of the start-up agencies over the last two years are built on this tenet and are flourishing nicely.
These partnerships are leading themselves to better speed AND importantly, a willingness to fail/regroup/fix/go back to market; all the while measuring, measuring, measuring.
So, my prediction for 2012? We will see an invention that comes out of an agency that will be beautiful, utilitarian and widely adopted. And, if comedian Louis C. K. is right as he said in the recent Fast Company article: "the next Steve Jobs will be a chick," and we’ll be celebrating a woman who did it.
Read more predictions:
- Cross-Platform Display Is Going From Niche to Mainstream In 2012 Says Google's Mohan
- For 2012, A Shift Towards The End-To-End Solution For Marketers Says Microsoft's van der Kooi
- True Premium Is Going To Change The Way We Think Says Yahoo! Levinsohn
- Pay-For-Performance Time Has Come Says IPG Mediabrands Global CEO Seiler
- Disintermediation and Frenemy Dropped From The Advertising Lexicon In 2012 Says VivaKi CEO Klues
- Consolidation And Clarification In Premium, Independent Web For 2012 Says Federated's Battelle
- Real-Time Bidding Capitulation And Ad Tech Acquisitions By Agencies In 2012 Says Fox News Steinberg
- Just Don't Tell Me Its Completely New In 2012 Says Inadco COO Zinman
- A Digital Creative Revolution Will Ignite In 2012 Says IAB CEO Rothenberg
- Agencies To Reap The Benefits Of Behaving More Like Silicon Valley In 2012 Says 4A's Prez Nancy Hill
- At Some Point In The Future There Won't Be Digital Ad Agencies Says ANA's Duggan