John Battelle, Founder/Chairman of Federated Media, offers his views.
We expect to see tremendous consolidation and clarification in the premium, Independent Web space in 2012. Up until recently, there has been no single, clear leader in the space we've often referred to as "the rest of the web" - that part of the Internet which isn't Google, Facebook, the portals, or a major media company. We call that the "Independent Web" and it is truly an enormous and very influential audience. 2012 will be the year it gains a foothold and breaks out as an efficient, scaled, quality marketing platform for brands who are looking for an alternative to standard, dependent media offerings. In short, 2012 will be the year the Independent Web roars and takes its place at the table with traditional media.
Read more predictions:
- Cross-Platform Display Is Going From Niche to Mainstream In 2012 Says Google's Mohan
- For 2012, A Shift Towards The End-To-End Solution For Marketers Says Microsoft's van der Kooi
- True Premium Is Going To Change The Way We Think Says Yahoo! Levinsohn
- Pay-For-Performance Time Has Come Says IPG Mediabrands Global CEO Seiler
- Disintermediation and Frenemy Dropped From The Advertising Lexicon In 2012 Says VivaKi CEO Klues
- Consolidation And Clarification In Premium, Independent Web For 2012 Says Federated's Battelle
- Real-Time Bidding Capitulation And Ad Tech Acquisitions By Agencies In 2012 Says Fox News Steinberg
- Just Don't Tell Me Its Completely New In 2012 Says Inadco COO Zinman
- A Digital Creative Revolution Will Ignite In 2012 Says IAB CEO Rothenberg
- Agencies To Reap The Benefits Of Behaving More Like Silicon Valley In 2012 Says 4A's Prez Nancy Hill
- At Some Point In The Future There Won't Be Digital Ad Agencies Says ANA's Duggan