Here's today's AdExchanger.com news round-up... Want it by email? Sign-up here.
Back To Basics
“We as an industry have poisoned programmatic,” Hearts & Science CEO Scott Hagedorn told attendees of the Mumbrella360 conference on Tuesday. “We told clients … there was all these people with hands on keyboards that were doing bidding and going after inventory when in reality it was more of a set it and forget it,” he said. That created a stigma for nontransparency that’s caused the industry to lose sight of programmatic’s core benefit: activating data for better targeting. But to achieve the promise of programmatic, or what Hagedorn calls “the core of the apple,” agencies will have to develop new measurement standards and digital audience currencies. More at Mumbrella.
Chip Off The Block
Ad blockers tell The Wall Street Journal they won’t be disintermediated when Google releases its Chrome ad filter. “Users have become accustomed to more stringent blocking,” says Ben Williams, operations manager for Eyeo GmbH, the software company that operates Adblock Plus (ABP). “Why would [users] trust ad industry standards?” More. But Google is the single biggest source of ad-blocker revenue – in the form of its annual whitelisting fees paid to the Acceptable Ads program (and thus to ABP and other blockers). Will its move into ad blocking upend that arrangement?
When retailers and manufacturers talk about Amazon as a “frenemy,” they’re conceding that they need Amazon even though the ecommerce giant soaks up some of their business. In order to access Amazon’s advertising features, they’re forced to push part of their business to the Amazon marketplace. If they don’t cooperate, Amazon “will find someone else with the intent of knocking that brand out,” according to Digiday. One anonymous apparel retailer gripes, “Amazon has not been a great partner.” More.
But Wait, There’s More!
- Facebook Will Share Location Data With Disaster Relief Orgs - TechCrunch
- How Bots Are Inflating Instagram Egos - NYT
- Investors Reject Sir Martin’s Pay Package - The Guardian
- Appboy Expands Data Export With Launch Of Currents - release
- B2B Agency Gyro Downsizes - Adweek
- One Third Of China’s Digital Advertising Traffic Is Invalid - Campaign Asia
- Drawbridge Adds PushSpring App Audience Data - release
- Loyalty Data Suggest Nine West May Be The Next To Close Stores - CNBC
- Tech Companies Including Amazon Staging Online Net Neutrality Protest - WaPo
- Sparks And Honey Launches Cultural Intelligence System “Q” - release
- Google Uses Elephants And Camels To Map Remote Parts Of The Globe - WSJ
- Radar And mParticle Announce Mobile Feeds Integration - release
- Facebook Says Its Ads Work Better With TV Than Previously Thought - The Drum
- Jumpshot Announces Suite Of Clickstream Data Tools For Marketers - release
- Vivendi’s Family Affair - Bloomberg
- CRO Meredith Kopit Levien Promoted To COO At The Times - NYT
- Bustle Digital Group Taps Michael Hart As Director Of Research Engineering - release
- PebblePost Appoints David Peterson As Chief Technology Officer - release
- Sabio Mobile Makes Two Exec Hires - release
- Apple Marketing Exec Bozoma Saint John Joins Uber As Chief Brand Officer - Recode