Here's today's AdExchanger.com news round-up... Want it by email? Sign-up here.
Facebook’s Online Mall
Facebook announced new features Monday meant to get more people buying directly off its platform. TechCrunch reporter Anthony Ha takes a look at the upgrades and Facebook’s current suite of ecommerce engines (including buy buttons, product ads and a mobile feed for merchants to place their inventory). Now Facebook is hoping to bring its Instant Articles strategy to shopping, so users don’t skip out to the mobile web or desktop to convert on sales. More.
In a surprise move, MediaMath has brought on a CMO. The new exec: AdExchanger lead analyst Joanna O’Connell, who wrote, in a company blog post, that “I am going to work with excited, enthusiastic people who are super smart.” A well-known equestrian, this will be O’Connell’s first stint at a technology company since 2010. The research world’s loss is MediaMath’s gain!
The Open Ocean
Open programmatic exchanges have known transparency and fraud issues. So why do marketers keep going back to the well? That’s the question asked by Mike Shields at The Wall Street Journal, who talks to Allstate and ad tech company Dstillery about their services-heavy partnership. It appears the solution so far has been bolting on additional fraud vendors (i.e., Integral Ad Science or White Ops). Additionally, the top exchange players are making major investments in data science teams focused on fraud. Read it.
Moments That Matter
Twitter’s new Moments feature, one of the company’s most-hyped product updates, is off to a rocky start. There’s been a backlash across media circles regarding the annoying blue dot that plagues those who don’t check it. And more substantively, there are new editorial quagmires that accompany the product – like whether or not to show Justin Bieber naked (or how it monitors publisher partners that show Bieber naked). Others have registered complaints about Twitter stripping links from tweets in its curated feeds, which undercuts the publishers supplying the original content.
- Invisible Media Adds Ari Osur To Management Team - press release
- Buzzfeed Hires Ex-Pandora Director For New VP Of Political Ads Role - Politico
But Wait, There’s More!
- Microsoft Researchers Are Working On Multiperson Virtual Reality - MIT Tech Review
- Brand Marketing Leaders Will Address Media Rebate Controversy This Week - Adweek
- Cyberwar Ignites A New Arms Race - WSJ
- Nielsen Strengthens Global Footprint For Mobile Measurement - press release
- Dell To Acquire EMC For $67 Billion In Largest Ever Tech Takeover - Re/code
- No, What Facebook Hears On Your Phone Isn’t Triggering Ads - Marketing Land
- How Addressability Will Change TV Ads: 4C’s Neuhauser - Beet.tv
- Taking A Holistic Approach To The Customer Journey - white paper
- Despite Perfect Storm, Marketers Barrel Full Speed Ahead - Ad Age
- Woman Stalked Across 8 Websites By Obsessed Shoe Advertisement - The Onion