Here’s today’s AdExchanger.com news round-up… Want it by email? Sign-up here.
AOL’s Video Spree
AOL is growing its video empire and on Monday snapped up Vidible for an estimated $50 million, Re/code reports. Vidible is a video management and exchange platform that works with 150 publishers, and the company claims to generate more than 2 billion video views per month. The buy stacks Vidible on top of AOL’s Adapt.tv buy in 2013 and its acquisition of 5Min in 2010. Press release. And read AdExchanger’s recent coverage of Vidible’s anti-fraud solution.
Some of Vox Media’s’ fresh $46.5 million round, led by General Atlantic, will support an ad tech buildout. “Our Hymnal platform, which is our ad platform, that’s another way to work with publishers as well as advertisers,” CEO Jim Bankoff tells AdAge. “[Vox’s ad formats] are built to be extensible beyond our sites.” Read it. Re/code reports that Vox’s total valuation now comes to $380 million, less than half that of BuzzFeed. “Our investors and our board see a lot of opportunity, and they want us to invest in new things. But they wouldn’t do that if they didn’t think the business is working,” Bankoff added. Read that.
Curbing The Social Data
Mobile Commerce Swell
Based on its online commerce data, PayPal reports that this year’s volume of holiday purchases broke the record for consumers shopping on mobile. On Thanksgiving, the company saw a 47% YoY increase in global mobile payments, and on Black Friday that jumped to 62%. TechCrunch’s Sarah Perez notes that PayPal rakes in $1 for every $6 worth of ecommerce exchanges it facilitates, “which puts it in a unique position to analyze shopping data and draw insights.”
Adslot Links Up With Operative
Programmatic direct promises to eliminate IOs. Adslot, a player in the programmatic-direct space, signed a global partnership with another paperwork eliminator, Operative. The workflow automation company simplifies billing and ad trafficking for publishers. With the partnership, publishers can do deals with Adslot’s agency buyers within Operative’s platform, giving the programmatic-direct player a foothold among Operative’s users. Read on.
- AppNexus Promotes Top Executives To Lead New Business Units – press release
- eXelate Adds Julie Ginches As CMO – press release
- Former SAP Head Of Cloud And Mobile Solutions Joins Kony – press release
- Engagement Labs Adds Bryan Segal, Former comScore VP of Sales, As CEO – press release
But Wait. There’s More!
- Outbrain Files For Possible Nasdaq Listing – WSJ
- Microsoft Buys Acompli – Gigaom
- Top Trends Predicted For Digital Advertising In 2015 – MediaPost
- EU Data Watchdog Rounds On Web Advertising And User Tracking – The Inquirer
- Ad Tech Startup Yieldbot Says It’s Obliterating Paid Search – BostInno
- Beacon-Triggered Offers Drive 60% More Engagement In-Store – ClickZ
- TailWind Launches Project Agora – press release
- Technology For Tracking Consumers Across Devices Grows Results – MIT Technology Review