Here’s today’s AdExchanger.com news round-up… Want it by email? Sign-up here.
Purchase Data In The TV Buy
Simulmedia has added consumer purchase data from Nielsen Buyer Insights to its non-primetime TV ad-buying platform, MediaPost reports. CEO Dave Morgan says, “Having these databases is not new. But they have always been used for research purposes. No one has ever activated them.” The company collects data from users’ set-top boxes, and now works with TiVo Research and Analytics, along with Nielsen. Read more.
The epic partnership between Microsoft and Yahoo, created to regain some search ground lost to Google, has become strained, according to Reuters’ Alexei Oreskovic and Dan Levine. The two companies made a deal to expand their partnership into 16 different markets, 14 of which have already been implemented. After Steve Ballmer announced his resignation, Marissa Mayer wanted to wait for the new CEO to prove his commitment to the deal before finishing the transition in the last two markets. U.S. District Judge Robert Patterson Jr. and an arbitrator ruled in favor of Microsoft. Read more.
Ad-tech M&A is gaining velocity, so Boston Business Journal’s Kyle Alspach compiled a list of six ad-tech companies in Boston that make good acquisition candidates. His list includes DataXu, OwnerIQ, Visible Measures, Nexage, Nanigans and ChoiceStream. Alspach also gives an explanation for each pick. Read more.
Ad Spend Trends
In its Global Ad Spend report, Nielsen finds ad-spend trends continue to favor TV and display, at the expense of more traditional media such as radio and print. TV now accounts for 57.6% of total ad spend. Display ad spending is up 26.6% from last year, thanks in part to growth in the Asia Pacific region and Latin America. Outdoor ad spend grew in all areas by 5%, although it’s still a small piece of the pie, like display. Read more.
Forbes and IPG Media Lab partnered up to conduct a study concerning the effectiveness of long-form branded content. The study involved 2,259 participants including Chrysler, Woodford Reserve and Charles Schwab. Read the release, read the report (pdf).
Making Apps Stick
App retention should be top of mind for developers, Gartner’s Jennifer Polk writes in a blog post. As with loyalty programs in stores, apps should provide a service or functionality that a user can’t get anywhere else. Polk writes, “I don’t have the space in my phone to hold on to apps that don’t serve a purpose, not if it requires me to remove valuable media or prevents me from getting the latest update. I don’t have the time to thumb through five or six screens to find the app the I need or try in vain to use an app that has bugs.” Read more.
Multi Channel Network is moving ahead with its automated trading platform, which it hopes to have done in 2014, according to AdNews’ Frank Chung. CEO Anthony Fitzgerald warns against the diminishing returns inherent in over-targeting. “There will be different systems that will trade inventory in whichever way they [the networks] choose to trade, but what will happen is the industry will build a hub between the different systems that will help automate the whole process at their end.” Read more.
- Markey Wants Answers From DOE on Data Outsourcing – Multichannel News
- Collective Appoints Jaisimha Muthegere General Manager of India Operations – press release
- Tremor Video Hires Christopher Klopp to Lead Enterprise Sales – press release
- Run Names Director of Data and Architecture – LinkedIn post
But Wait, There’s More!
- Teradata Applications Introduces Customer Interaction Manager in the Cloud – press release
- eBay: Forget Auctions, We Are All About Curated Boutiques – PandoDaily
- Martini Reports Affluent Spending Increased 20% YOY and Reveals Affluent Increased Engagement With Ads Across Categories – press release
- SmartFocus Launches New Product Enhancements to Help Marketers Deliver Smarter, Personalized Marketing – SmartFocus
- Simulmedia Adds Nielsen Buyer Insights to World’s Largest Database of TV Viewing Habits – press release
- DG Peer39 Launches Fraud Prevention Attribute Helping Advertisers Identify and Avoid Bot Traffic in RTB Environments – press release
- The Death, Destruction, & Rebirth Of The Online Video Ad Market – press release
- NextMark Spawns Bionic Advertising Systems – Bionic
- Outbrain Gets $35M Investment — No IPO After All – GigaOM