Here’s today’s AdExchanger.com news round-up… Want it by email? Sign-up here.
Amazon’s Search Dominance
Amazon is pulling away from competitors as the go-to source for product info, according to recent research from BloomReach. Jason Del Rey of Re/code reports 44% of 2,000 respondents said they go directly to Amazon when researching products, compared to 21% for other retail brands and 34% for Google and other search tools. The Amazon intent data trove: large and getting larger. Read on.
Twitter’s been teasing its “Project Lighting” product initiative for the better part of a year. On Tuesday, the day after Dorsey Day, the curtain rose on “Moments,” a new tab in the interface that curates and streamlines content on specific topics, events or live news. “This is a product aimed at people who maybe have given up on Twitter,” PM Madhu Muthukumar tells BuzzFeed. There could be a paid media opportunity here around sponsorship of buzzy cultural phenomenon, a la the “Promoted Trends” of yesteryear. Check it out.
F Is For Facebook
Facebook will begin grading app publishers based on performance against metrics like downloads or product sales, a move the social media giant is calling Advertiser Outcome Scores. Tim Peterson points out for Ad Age that it’s data Facebook has long had internally but is now making available so app publishers can evaluate what’s working. The overall goal is to optimize toward substantive results (downloads and user engagements) and away from the click-hungry app download links that ruin many a user’s mobile experience. Read it.
Ryanair is coming to Google with a complaint that’s typical of major brands in the travel and hospitality industry: Third-party, site-scraping vendors are hijacking their SEO value. The Drum’s John McCarthy shows that a search for “Ryanair flights,” for instance, could lead a user to a shady company that games its URL to appear to have a partnership with the airline. Tough to claim the user was looking for a Ryanair lookalike on a search term like that. More.
- Verve Names Kevin Arrix Chief Revenue Officer – press release
- Yieldbot Expands Marketing Team – press release
- News Corp. Digital Executive Joins ROKT As CRO– press release
But Wait, There’s More!
- Google Takes Stake In Messaging Startup Symphony – TechCrunch
- TV’s Looming Threat: ‘Cord-Nevers’ – WSJ
- An Attempt To Define Native Advertising – Tom Goodwin on LinkedIn
- Sociomantic Launches Quality-Supply Index – press release
- Apple Approves First Adblocker That Works Within Mobile Apps – FT
- ZenithOptimedia Acquires FirstClick Consulting In Australia – press release
- Publishers Share Biggest Headaches In Monetizing Mobile – Digiday
- Mobile Forecast To Dominate Programmatic Market – MediaPost
- Rentrak Announces Rentrak Syndication Service – press release
- Facebook Is Challenging Twitter For Second-Screen TV Supremacy – Adweek
- Tremor Video Launches Pure-Play Video SSP In Brazil – press release
- Has LinkedIn Set The Standard For A/B Testing? – App Developer Magazine